Reposted from old site – original date: Saturday 5 September 2009
1. What exactly [b]distinguishes[/b] eLearning from mLearning or just learning? The use of a mobile device? Isn’t a netbook considered mobile? What is the threshold between mobile and not?
2. We learn. If we do it with the aid of a [b]tool[/b] that we call a computer, we still learn.
3. Sticking an “”e”” in front of stuff does [b]not[/b] make it hip or cool or modern or trendy. It just makes you look like a buzzword whore. E.g. e-educator and e-facilitator are two such examples I have heard in the past few days! It just sounds like you stutter!
4.eLearning Systems (or LMS’s) are so last season. A LMS is an outdated word that should be banished from a post 1996 vocabulary. Strike it from your lexicon NOW and save us all the heartache! Modern learning systems (see you didn’t even notice I left off the “”e””) are semantic, people driven, social, holistic entities that incorporate way more than just traditional course content and possibly some assessment.
5. Assessment (formative and summative) is bull. Learn to live with it. You can assess [b]learning[/b] much better by socially understanding that learners have understood the concepts. Let them [b]show[/b] you understanding through [b]social[/b] interaction in online communities.
6. “”Knowledge worker”” and “”Concept worker”” are just stupid terms. We are humans, much more organic and complex than a dumb buzzwordy label.
7. Course content is [b]not[/b] to be created by lecturers. Learn this now and you will be a happier human being; in fact you may even become a human [b]doing[/b]!
8. Don’t feel pressure to create the hottest course or online presence on the block. Do what works for your group(s), not what your peers think is right. They have way less insight into your students than you do.
9. Use the tools available to you. If school learners use MXit, use that. If your learners want to use mail (no “”e””) or pass sticky notes to each other, do that. Be agile.
10. The final rant: Open up your courseware. It is common knowledge anyway (anyone can search for the same junk online). License it as Creative Commons By attribution ShareAlike and let others even improve it! It will be to the benefit of all humankind.
OK, that is it for now. ”